Monday 3 June 2013

Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore. Tricky to spell. Easy to make!

I'm totally crushing on my slow cooker at the moment. It's just too handy to use when I'm out all afternoon for basketball or footy, or like today feeling like crap and able to put stuff in the slowcooker, set and forget!




After a cold and windy training on Thursday it was great to come home to dinner already cooked!


Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore

8 chicken thighs, chopped into bite sized bits
1 medium onion, sliced
3 garlic cloves, sliced
1 400g tin crushed tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
1/4 sliced of halved black or kalamata olives
1/2 cup red wine
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 tbsp mixed herbs
salt & pepper to taste
fresh parsley to garnish


The "easy ain't nobody got time for that" method
1. Throw it all in the slow cooker, stir, set, forget. 4 hours on high. 6-8 hours on low. It may need thickening before serving.


The "I have a little bit more time to waste on cooking" method

Add this to the ingredient list
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp oil


  1. Coat chicken in flour seasoned with extra salt, pepper & mixed herbs
  2. Heat half the oil in saucepan and cook onion and garlic until soft. Add to slowcooker
  3. Heat remaining oil and cook chicken in batches until brown. Add to slowcooker.
  4. Use the red wine to deglaze the saucepan and add to slowcooker
  5. Add stock, paste, tin tomatoes, olives and mixed herb to slow cooker.
  6. Cook for 4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.

You could serve this on its own or with whatever you wanted to really. Mash potato. Pasta. Rice. Polenta. Cous Cous. Quinoa. Whatever.

Ready to be cooked. Didn't get a photo before we gobbled it all up!

Do you crush on your slow cooker during the cooler months too???














You can also follow me on
Twitter | @AussieHausfrau
Instagram | @aussie_hausfrau

If you've been following me on facebook you may or may not know that I have registered for a 220km bike ride  for the Perth Ride to Conquer Cancer in 2013. This is a cause close to my heart as I have lost some very special people to this horrible disease. As part of my entry I need to fund raise a minimum of $2500 to take part in the actual ride. I really hate asking for donations but I've been told that it's the only way! Do you have a spare $2? Every little bit helps. All money raised will go directly to support cancer patients and their families and all donations $2 and over are tax deductible. Thank you!!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, leave me a comment. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy! {I've removed "Anonymous Users" as I was getting waaaaaay too much stupid spammy comments!}