Thursday 30 May 2013

How do you like your lamb shanks?

There are few favourite meals that I remember from when I was a young whipper schnapper.

Let's just say that my Mum didn't like to cook and her Mum wasn't a cook either. Not sure where I get my love of cooking. Dad likes to watch cooking shows and so do I so let's just go with me getting it from him.

Remember how, as a kid, there were certain meals that you just dreaded!??




For me it was two meals that my Step Father made. One was good old Rice-A-Riso with "can't chew it 'cause it's too tough diced pork". The other was lamb shanks cooked in a frying pan. You know, before lamb shanks were the cool thing to cook and they were still cheap as chips. Tough and chewy! Yuck!

I have never ever eaten Rice-A-Riso since I left home and until I bought a slow cooker a few years back I stayed clear of lamb shanks too.

But last week I came across a slow cooker recipe* for lamb shanks and thought I'd give it a crack. Now I'm here to share it with you.


Slow Cooked Lamb Shanks
Mediterranean  Style

Ingredients


  • 4-6 frenched lamb shanks (if you don't wish to sell your first born to buy frenched one just get un-frenched ones)
  • 2 tbsp plain flour (use gluten free to make the recipe GF**) seasoned with salt, pepper and dried oregano and basil.
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 4 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
  • 3 medium capsiums (I use 1 red, 1 green, 1 orange), chopped
  • 1 large zucchini, chopped
  • 1 small eggplant, chopped
  • 3 sticks celery, sliced
  • 1 large chilli (seeds in or out, your choice)
  • 2 x 400g cans chopped, diced or crushed tomatoes
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup red wine
  • 1 cup beef stock
  • 2 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil
  • Salt and pepper to season
  • Arrowroot powder (or similar) to thicken

Putting it together

  1. Place lamb and flour in a bowl. Toss to coat. Heat half the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook lamb for 5 to 6 minutes, turning, until shanks are browned all over. Transfer to the bowl of your slow cooker. Add onion, garlic, capsicum, zucchini, eggplant and celery to pan. Cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until vegetables just start to brown.
  2. Add vegeatable mix to lamb shanks. Combine tomato paste, stock and wine and pour over lamb and veg. Top with chopped tomatoes.Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 6 hours or low for 8.
  3. Remove lamb from sauce and set aside. If sauce is too watery thicken with arrowroot (2 tbsp dissolved in a little water) - stir in oregano and basil and season with salt and pepper. 
  4. Serve lamb shanks over mashed potato (GF), pasta, cous cous or quinoa (GF) and ladel over vegetable sauce.
Serves 4-6



Here's some crappy iPhone photos for you







*The original recipe is from here. I've changed it and made it my own
**GF = Gluten Free

The lamb was soooo tender and fell off the bones! Mr Hausfrau loved it and the kids gave it their tick of approval. I ended up with lots of left over sauce so have frozen it and will use it for a meat free pasta or a base for another casserole.















You can also follow me on
Twitter | @AussieHausfrau
Instagram | @aussie_hausfrau

If you've been following me on facebook you may or may not know that I have registered for a 220km bike ride  for the Perth Ride to Conquer Cancer in 2013. This is a cause close to my heart as I have lost some very special people to this horrible disease. As part of my entry I need to fund raise a minimum of $2500 to take part in the actual ride. I really hate asking for donations but I've been told that it's the only way! Do you have a spare $2? Every little bit helps. All money raised will go directly to support cancer patients and their families and all donations $2 and over are tax deductible. Thank you!!











4 comments:

  1. Considering how cold it is today that would make the perfect lunch! I have to say my Dad is the cook in our house and he makes some BBQ lamb Shanks slow cooked in the oven! We would only have shanks though when we had just killed sheep for meat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'cause other wise you'd need to sell your first born to buy them yeah?? OMG they're so expensive these days!

      Slow cooked in the oven would work (if I had one) but definitley NOT just cooked in a frying pan!! Blurgh!

      Delete
  2. I am literally drooling! I recently took my slowcooker back out from the depths of the cupboard now the weather has turned cooler - this ones going on the menu for next week. Love lamb shanks to bits!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With winter upon us and all, I've been thinking about trying to cook some lamb shanks! Thanks for this recipe! Off to bookmark!

    ReplyDelete

Go on, leave me a comment. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy! {I've removed "Anonymous Users" as I was getting waaaaaay too much stupid spammy comments!}