Monday 27 May 2013

Another soup? I'm like a freaking Soup Nazi or something - but instead of "No soup for you!" it's "More soup for you!!"

It really is a coincidence that my 3rd recipe in a row is another soup one. Honestly it is.

It must be the weather or something.


Potato & Roasted Garlic Soup





I've made this one before. Last winter actually. Back when I had a working oven so I had to tweak* it a little this time but I'll give you the original. Assuming your oven is working which I'm sure it is.

What goes in this soup

3 heads of garlic
6 sprigs of fresh thyme
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large brown onion, chopped
800g  potatoes (I use Ruby Lou or Royal Blue), peeled and chopped
4 cups vegetable (you could use chicken stock)
1/4 cup cream
Chives, chopped


Putting it together

  1. Preheat oven to 120°C. Cut garlic heads in half and place into a small ovenproof dish. Add half the thyme. Drizzle with the olive oil. Cover with some foil and roast for 1.5 hours or until garlic is very soft. Remove garlic from oil and keep the oil. Set garlic aside to cool. Once cooled, squeeze soft garlic flesh from skin.
  2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the reserved oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes or until the onion are soft. Add the potatoes and remaining thyme. Stir to coat the potatoes in the oil and onion mixture. Pour in the stock and cover with a lid. Bring to the boil the reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are very tender. Set aside to cool slightly - about 20 minutes should do it. Stir through garlic flesh.
  3. Blend soup in batches until smooth and to saucepan (or use a stick blender like I do) Reheat over low heat for 5 minutes or until hot. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  4. Ladle soup into serving bowls and add a swirl a little cream to the top of the soup. Top with chives and serve with crusty bread!
Delish! Serves probably 4 depending on how much you eat.


*How did you tweak it Toni? 

Let me tell you!
1. First, I forgot to buy heads of garlic but I had a packet of pre-peeled garlic cloves in my fridge. So seeing as I don't have an oven I heated the oil in my pot and cooked the garlic whole for 20-30 minutes over low-medium heat. I used less garlic as I knew that cooking for less time would result in a stronger garlic taste.
2. I couldn't, in the 2 different fruit and veg shops I went to, find fresh thyme. My thyme plants was attacked by bugs so I had to use that packed fresh herb stuff.





So, that's that. You could, if you wanted to, add bacon to this little beauty. I did last time but this time I haven't as it's Meat Free Monday here tonight.

Let me know if you give it a whirl won't you.
Do you do Meat Free Monday too?

















You can also follow me on
Twitter | @AussieHausfrau
Instagram | @aussie_hausfrau

If you've been following me on facebook you may or may not know that I have registered for a 220km bike ride  for the Perth Ride to Conquer Cancer in 2013. This is a cause close to my heart as I have lost some very special people to this horrible disease. As part of my entry I need to fund raise a minimum of $2500 to take part in the actual ride. I really hate asking for donations but I've been told that it's the only way! Do you have a spare $2? Every little bit helps. All money raised will go directly to support cancer patients and their families and all donations $2 and over are tax deductible. Thank you!!




2 comments:

  1. Another great recipe! This one old be a great winter cold fighter with all that garlic goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Love this recipe Toni! anything with that much garlic is a winner with me!!

    ReplyDelete

Go on, leave me a comment. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy! {I've removed "Anonymous Users" as I was getting waaaaaay too much stupid spammy comments!}