Monday 17 September 2012

{Recipe} Potato Gnocchi with Carbonara Sauce


This is a fun recipe that the kids will love to help with. Swap the carbonara sauce for a tomato based one and it's just as delicious!

Mr Hausfrau and Random Boy just asked if I had an Italian Cooking Mama hidden somewhere in the house after our Italian night dinner!









Ingredients

for the gnocchi
1kg all purpose potatoes

30g butter
250g plain flour
2 eggs, beaten

for the carbonara sauce
1 tbsp olive oil

1 onion peeled, diced
500g bacon, diced or in strips
1 clove garlic
3 egg yolks
125ml cream
3/4 cup (90g) parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Extra cheese for topping


Method



  1. Peel potatoes, chop roughly and boil until tender. Drain and mash until smooth. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the butter and flour, then beat in the eggs. Leave to cool.
  2. Turn the gnocchi mixture out onto a floured surface and divide into flour. Roll each into a sausage shape.
  3. Cut into short pieces and press each piece with the back of a fork. Set aside
  4. Mean combine egg yolks, cream, salt & pepper and cheese in a bowl and whisk. Set aside
  5. Cook the gnocchi in batches in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for about 2 minutes or until they rise to the surface. Using a slotted spoon drain the gnocchi and transfer to a bowl. Set aside
  6. Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Fry onions and bacon until bacon is evenly browned. Stir in garlic when bacon is about half done. Remove from heat.
  7. Add the bacon mixture to the bowl with the gnocchi. Stir in the cream mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  8. Top with extra parmasen cheese.


Serves 4-6



Note
Sometimes I find, depending on the weather, that I might need extra flour when making the gnocchi.

serves 4











In unrelated gnocchi news I'm in the running for the Top 25 Australian Moms Blogs! If I've ever made you laugh, even just a little bit, or you've enjoy my pics please please please head over and click "vote" on this link (or click on the pic below). You can vote EVERY 24 hours!! Making the top 25 would be a far off dream, but the top 50 would be lovely! Thank you!!





I'm linking up with One Mother Hen to share my recipe





You can also follow me on
facebook | www.facebook.com/TheAussieHausfrau
Twitter | @AussieHausfrau
Instagram | @aussie_hausfrau

6 comments:

  1. Good one. think we might give that one a go this week. i'll let you know :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes please - tell me what you think - very yummy! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh cool, I'll definitely be giving this a go. I love gnocchi, but have never made it very well. Time for another try! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love this one Alicia - let me know what you think of it :)

      Delete

Go on, leave me a comment. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy! {I've removed "Anonymous Users" as I was getting waaaaaay too much stupid spammy comments!}